Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year Everyone!
Just a short post today - I'll be back in full form on Monday next week! 
I spent some time with family over the last week and I was talking to my dad about design. My dad has a background in publishing,among other things, and we got talking about when he went to Scandinavia in the early 70's to meet with textile producers in preparation for redesigning the publishing facilllities at Collins, the publishers(now Harper Collins), in Glasgow. The reason we were talking about this is because my mum had recently found a bunch of samples of Marimekko fabric that he had brought home with him from their design house in Helsinki - and I was interested to see how similar the Marimekko designs from 1975 are to their current collections. Here's what I found on line:



It has taken me a long time to come to terms with design from the 1970's. I'd like to talk some more about this in the near future(maybe we could have design therapy for any of us who were teenagers of the 70's) - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a love hate relationship with anything orange and brown(mosty hate!) Marimekko makes it seem so much more sophisticated than I remember - how about you?
Blog Widget by LinkWithin